Runs Greenplum MapReduce jobs as defined in a YAML specification document.
gpmapreduce -f config.yaml [dbname [username]] [-k name=value | --key name=value] [-h hostname | --host hostname] [-p port| --port port] [-U username | --username username] [-W] [-v] gpmapreduce -x | --explain gpmapreduce -X | --explain-analyze gpmapreduce -V | --version gpmapreduce -h | --help
The following are required prior to running this program:
- You must have your MapReduce job defined in a YAML file. See gpmapreduce.yaml for more information about the format of, and keywords supported in, the Greenplum MapReduce YAML configuration file.
- You must be a Greenplum Database superuser to run MapReduce jobs written in untrusted Perl or Python.
- You must be a Greenplum Database superuser to run MapReduce jobs with EXEC and FILE inputs.
- You must be a Greenplum Database superuser to run MapReduce jobs with GPFDIST input unless the user has the appropriate rights granted.
MapReduce is a programming model developed by Google for processing and generating large data sets on an array of commodity servers. Greenplum MapReduce allows programmers who are familiar with the MapReduce paradigm to write map and reduce functions and submit them to the Greenplum Database parallel engine for processing.
gpmapreduce is the Greenplum MapReduce program. You configure a Greenplum MapReduce job via a YAML-formatted configuration file that you pass to the program for execution by the Greenplum Database parallel engine. The Greenplum Database system distributes the input data, executes the program across a set of machines, handles machine failures, and manages the required inter-machine communication.
- -f config.yaml
- Required. The YAML file that contains the Greenplum MapReduce job definitions. Refer to gpmapreduce.yaml for the format and content of the parameters that you specify in this file.
- -? | --help
- Show help, then exit.
- -V | --version
- Show version information, then exit.
- -v | --verbose
- Show verbose output.
- -x | --explain
- Do not run MapReduce jobs, but produce explain plans.
- -X | --explain-analyze
- Run MapReduce jobs and produce explain-analyze plans.
- -k | --keyname=value
- Sets a YAML variable. A value is required. Defaults to "key" if no variable name is specified.
- -h host | --host host
- Specifies the host name of the machine on which the Greenplum master database server is running. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGHOST or defaults to localhost.
- -p port | --port port
- Specifies the TCP port on which the Greenplum master database server is listening for connections. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGPORT or defaults to 5432.
- -U username | --username username
- The database role name to connect as. If not specified, reads from the environment variable PGUSER or defaults to the current system user name.
- -W | --password
- Force a password prompt.
Run a MapReduce job as defined in my_mrjob.yaml and connect to the database mydatabase:
gpmapreduce -f my_mrjob.yaml mydatabase